Tuesday, August 10, 2010

What's that law of physics that has to do with an object at rest?

Isn't it something like it stays at rest?

Well, that's been me for most of the last year.  I have a hard time with motivation.  In my mind, I knew that I needed to exercise.  Everything I read said that I needed to exercise.  My doctor told me that I needed to exercise.  Still, I couldn't motivate myself to get going. 

I had a feeling that once I started I would be fine, but the starting was the hardest part.  I had every excuse in the book.  It's too hot.  It's too cold.  I'm too tired.  It takes too long to go to the gym.  I don't have any time.  It's too late.  It's too early.  I need to start on a Friday.  I need to start on a Monday.  I'll start after this vacation.  I don't feel like it.

I asked for advice on motivation from friends and I looked up information online, but none of it was helpful.  Just do it.  Don't give yourself permission to do anything else until it's done.  Put your workout clothes/shoes out as a reminder.  Think about how good you'll feel after it's done.  Schedule an appointment with yourself.  Find a workout partner.  None of it seemed to motivate me.

The last idea stuck with me though.  Find a workout partner.  Knowing myself, I know that I wouldn't stand another person up and I have too much pride to quit if someone was watching depending on me.  So I tried various ways to find a workout partner, but to no avail.  I don't remember exactly how the idea came to me, but I thought to look into the blog world.  Of course, I found so many other women who are going/went through the same thing. 

Being a little shy and a bit of a scaredy cat, I wasn't so sure if blogging was the right way to go.  So when I created my blog, some deep down part of me jumped in feet first and left my brain to worry about it later.  Then I spent time reading the success stories of those who learned to live a healthy life and who shared it through blogging; it really inspired me.  I spent a few days reading various blogs- women who got healthy, women who continually struggle with it, and women who are just beginning the process. 

Finally something clicked and I thought that if they could attempt to get healthy and share all the gory details in their blogs, I could too.  (Though, I don't want my blog to be ONLY about health and fitness.)  But first, I had to start.  Even though it was a Monday (or because it was one), and even though it was too hot, too late, and I didn't feel like it, I forced myself to go to the gym.  Once I got there, I was fine, just like I knew that I would be and I'll probably keep with it because I'm following the C25K and I won't want to mess it up.

So I would like to say thank you to all of you bloggers who have the courage to share your story and inspire someone like me.  (Maybe at some point, I'll be able to say that I did the same.)  I wish you well on your journey to a healthy life.

So, my friends, it's all about motivation.  What is your motivation to live a healthy life?  What gets in the way of your motivation?  What do you do when you can't get motivated?

No comments:

Post a Comment